Providing quality care for your patients is your top priority as a medical professional. In addition, you may enjoy using your adaptability to practice at different facilities. Often, the best locum tenens jobs have physicians vying for them as soon as they are available.
Fortunately, there are several ways to give yourself a competitive edge and land assignments that check off most (if not all) of the boxes on your wish list. Read on for tips on how to become a top-tier candidate and get a jump on opportunities as soon as they arise.
- Stay in contact with your recruiter. If you communicate regularly and make sure your recruiter is aware of your interests and ideal assignments, you will be his or her go-to provider when an opportunity matching your preferences presents itself. With a strong connection, you might find out about opportunities before they are made public.
- Get licensed in your favorite states. Maybe you have thought about taking a locum tenens opportunity on the West Coast. Or, maybe you want to pick up extra shifts at a practice or facility within commuting distance. Then again, you may want to indulge your sense of adventure with a faraway assignment in either Alaska or Hawaii! No matter the location, if you already have a license you can accept a contract and be placed quickly, which makes you a very attractive candidate to both your recruiter and the healthcare organization.
- Become certified. Clinicians with specialized certifications—such as PALS, ACLS, and BLS—have a larger pool of assignments from which to choose. The same is true for providers who are board certified or board eligible in their various specialties.
- Keep up with CME credits. There are a variety of easy and cost-effective options for earning CME credits, and many can be found through medical conventions, conferences, and lectures. Additionally, the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) can connect you with activities offered by accredited CME providers throughout the United States.
- Keep your CV up to date. Take the time to ensure it is always current and appropriately formatted. Whenever you have something new to add, from assignment details to board certification, do it immediately so the details are fresh and easy to remember. In addition, if you don’t already do so, get in the habit of reviewing and brushing up your CV whenever you complete a locum tenens assignment. For more tips on perfectly packaging your CV, check out our blog post.
- Organize paperwork and references. The credentialing process can be time-consuming and tedious. To give yourself a leg up, start collecting the documents you will need in advance and make sure everything is gathered and current. This step could be a game changer when an opportunity comes along that you are interested in accepting. A reputable staffing company will have experienced credentialing professionals who can facilitate the process for you.
- Stay flexible. Simply put, flexibility yields more opportunities. Be enthusiastic about the job and be willing to commit to what the hospital, practice, or health system needs. Additionally, consider different shifts and contract durations, and be ready to adapt to situations as needed. This may help you find your perfect opportunity.
Learn more about available assignments by calling 855-301-0563 to speak with a knowledgeable Medicus Healthcare Solutions recruiter today.