Some clinicians prefer to work locum tenens near their home, particularly if they have local commitments. Others see the practice alternative as the perfect opportunity to explore the country and gain a new perspective. Thankfully, as an independent contractor, you can choose whichever option best suits your lifestyle.
If you have yet to accept a locum tenens job but think accepting different assignment locations sounds like a passport to professional growth, personal satisfaction, and new adventures, you’re right! Read on for five more reasons to consider this option.
- Rejuvenate. Escape not only clinician burnout, but also the weariness that accompanies staleness in your everyday routine. Experiencing unfamiliar geographic settings and work environments can shake things up in a good way, which makes life interesting. What’s the best part? As a locum tenens provider, you aren’t caught up in hospital or practice politics and bureaucratic red tape. And if you like, you can ask your recruiter to build time into your schedule for precious opportunities to rest, relax, and/or sightsee along the way.
- Immerse yourself in a new culture. Live like a local! For example, if you enjoy fine dining, ask for recommendations from other people at your assignment facility about the community’s best restaurants. Inquire about the must-see attractions that tourists are unlikely to find. Are you a history buff? Pencil in time for visits to museums and historic sites. While you’re there, take advantage of all that’s available in your temporary home away from home.
- Test your flexibility. The ability to roll with the punches is essential to most careers, but it is especially true when you recurrently travel for work. Sometimes you need a little reminder. The unexpected, like a delayed flight or housing issue, can happen. If you experience any hiccups or problems, let your recruiter know about them. As your career continues, remaining flexible and open to a variety of solutions offers a plethora of opportunity.
- New connections. You will get to know new colleagues, neighbors, and other people who live in the communities you visit for work. It’s no surprise that many who travel for locum jobs make lifelong friends along the way. Some providers enjoy practicing at certain facilities and locations so much, they ask their recruiters to tell them when further opportunities become available. You may find yourself returning for future assignments.
- Create memories. Everyone loves a good story, and you can begin collecting experiences. As a mobile locum tenens provider, you are bound to have great little anecdotes and words of wisdom to share with your family and friends when you return from an assignment.
Call Medicus Healthcare Solutions at 855.301.0563 to explore locum tenens opportunities with an experienced recruiter, and read our blog posts for tips, the latest news and trends, and other helpful information.